Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Zealand - Day Four (10/12/11)

Sunny days in New Zealand are always days to behold. Those are the days when you can just walk along in nothing but a long dress and a thin overcoat, smiling at the thought of summer and long daylight hours.

It was my sister's graduation day, and we accompanied her to the university.

And took quite a few photos with her in her graduation gown.


 I must admit that ever since I had a new camera, I enjoyed taking macro shots of flowers. The detailed folding of each rose petal fascinates me to no end.

The University of Otago - which would be the place I would be studying at next year.
Since Dunedin itself is mostly a student town, the university there treats graduation very, very seriously. For graduations, there will always be a procession on the street. A live Scottish band will lead the way, followed by the Vice Chancellors, faculty members, and finally by students - who can be accompanied by parents.

It was an interesting sight to behold.

 The ceremony itself was a solemn one. Other than just giving out the certificates, the graduates had to swear on the Hippocrate's oath to use their knowledge for the good of the world - and the ceremony ended by singing the national anthem both in English and Maori.
We were treated to a simple reception at a nearby church after that.

 I just noticed that we matched each other in red and black.

We had dinner at Speights after that. Believe it or not, everyone had arrived there for their graduation dinners. It was a brewery, and apparently served the best wine and beer in town. Not to lose out, we ordered some.

And I was allowed to have a glass as well. No, I didn't get drunk.

After much thought of consideration, I decided to give up the offer from Christchurch's Canterbury University and accept the offer from the University of Otago. Amusingly, my brother and sister once studied there - and I would be going there next year, too - which would make it something like a family tradition of the three siblings.

I quite like the environment there. It's not really a big place and the hangout places are limited - but does it matter? Most importantly, the people are friendly, the student life is interesting, and I know that I wouldn't regret going there - no matter what obstacles I would face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment